Welcome to “Ask the Tech Coach,” a podcast for Instructional Coaches and Technology Integration Specialists.
In this episode of “Ask the Tech Coach,” Jeff and Susan sit down with educator Keturah Proctor to discuss the importance of supporting teachers both for curricular and controversial conversations with students.
If you would like to be a part of future podcasts and share your thoughts, please contact the podcast. We would love to have you join the show.
Join the TeacherCast Tech Coaches Network!
- Are you a Tech Coach or looking to become one this year?
- Are you searching for support in your position?
The TeacherCast Tech Coaches Network, is a brand new Professional Learning Network designed specifically for Tech Coaches and designed to provide weekly support for all Instructional Coaches.
Click Here to Join!Weekly Topic
- If the role of an Instructional Coach is to support the teaching of curricular topics, should coaches be in a position to be supportive of all curricular topics?
- Should coaches be involved in planning lessons with teachers around difficult and controversial topics that they themselves may or may not feel comfortable discussing?
- How do we encourage our teachers to reach out to coaches when planning the instruction of difficult and controversial topics?
- Examples of Controversial Topics that might face coaches:
- Religious Conversations
- Political Conversations
- Family-based Conversations
- Covid / Health based Conversations
- Conversations about Race
- How can teachers and coaches navigate their way through these topics without putting themselves or their believes in the conversation?
- Should teachers be teaching what the community wants and how the community wants, or should they be teaching to a district-approved curriculum?
- Tips for navigating teaching these difficult topics and doing so effectively
- What it means for teachers to be truly inclusive in the classroom
- How to effectively listen to students, what they want to learn, and how to let them lead in the classroom
- How to center different students’ lived experiences in teachers’ curriculum and instruction practices
- What should the role of coaches be during the teaching of controversial topics?
- Co-Teaching vs Modeling vs Sitting in the Back
About our Guest: Keturah Proctor
Keturah Proctor has over 20 years of experience in education advocating for students through an Anti-Bias, Anti-Racist lens. Her work in the role of Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion & District Curriculum Coordinator, as well as her work as a Regional Equity Professional Development Facilitator, has positioned Ms. Proctor to support focused instruction and guidance in the following areas: Unpacking Anti-Racist Theories and Pedagogy, Developing Social Justice Units of Study, Establishing Foundational Understandings of Anti-Racism and Social Justice work for school communities, and Formalizing the Racial Equity work within School Buildings. Her work centers the lived experiences of students while also focusing on cultivating authentic relationships with students, families, and community members.
Ms. Proctor is also an Education Ambassador for the National Public Education Support Fund and is a Community Activist.
Links of Interest
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/kproctor1517
EDUTwitters to Follow on these Topics:
- Chris Emdin @Chris_E310
- Gholdy Mohammed @GholdyM
- Center for Antiracist Education @antiracist_ed
- Cornelius Minor @MisterMinor
- NYU Metro Center @metronyu
Contact the Podcast!
Subscribe to “Ask the Tech Coach”
Follow our Podcast on Social Media
- The TeacherCast Educational Broadcasting Network | @TeacherCast
- Ask the Tech Coach Podcast | @AsktheTechCoach
Follow our Hosts
Join our PLN
Are you enjoying the TeacherCast Network, please share your thoughts with the world by commenting on iTunes today? I enjoy reading and sharing your comments on the podcast each week.
Let’s Work Together
- Host: Jeff Bradbury @TeacherCast | @JeffBradbury
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Voice Mail: http://www.TeacherCast.net/voicemail
- YouTube: http://www.TeacherCast.net/YouTube
- iTunes: http://www.TeacherCast.net/iTunes
Check Out Additional TeacherCast Programming
- TeacherCast Podcast (http://www.teachercast.net/tcp)
- Educational Podcasting Today (http://www.educationalpodcasting.today)
- The Jeff Bradbury Show (http://www.BuildYourEDUBrand.com)
Need a Presenter?