18 year veteran teacher, and host of the Teachers On Fire Podcast, Tim Cavey, chats with us about his journey to podcasting, why you should have an “education only” Twitter account, and how his district has implemented gradeless assessments.
Tim shares how a low moment in his life has led to positives, why you might want to start podcasting, the power of perspective and empathy, and why he is focused on creating more content, more learning, and more relationships.
- 1:56 – Don’t forget to submit your proposal for the Teach Better Conference.
- 3:00 – Rae sings “I Saw The Sign” by Ace Of Base.
- 3:15 – Chatting about Standards-Based Grading (SBG).
- 6:21 – Previewing the episode.
- 8:21 – Jeff and Rae chat about what it’s like going on other podcasts, as a host of our own.
- 9:56 – Tim introduces himself.
- 11:22 – We chat about Tim’s podcast, Teachers On Fire.
- 15:09 – Tim encourages us all to start podcasting.
- 16:51 – Tim’s failure.
- 20:57 – Tim chats about gradeless assessments in his district.
- 22:30 – Tim’s success. Tim recommends the book “Mindset” by Dr. Carol S. Dweck
- 26:34 – What’s got Tim excited about education right now. Tim recommends WeVideo for creating videos with your students.
- 28:27 – Tim’s advice to new teachers.
- 30:52 – 6 (actually, 7) questions answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 34:25 – We discuss the magic that is Sarah Johnson (@sarahSaJohnson
- 35:10 – How to connect with Tim.
- EdTech Tool: My Kindle & Goodreads account.
- Book: “Digital Minimalism” by Cal Newport
- Who to Follow: @RKoop7 & @SmurtiTeacher
- YouTube/Podcast/Website/Blog: (Besides the Teachers on Fire YouTube channel … ) MathAntics
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Early morning wake-ups: I try to get to Starbucks by 5 and knock out as much lesson planning, email, and marking for the day as possible. Get to school feeling prepared. The hack is (as I learned from Twyla Tharp in the Creative Habit) get out of the house. That eliminates the temptation to go to back to bed!
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received:
- I heard this on The Fizzle Show: “Fear is always triggered by creativity, because creativity asks you to enter into realms of uncertain outcome. This is nothing to be ashamed of. It is, however, something to be dealt with.” — Elizabeth Gilbert
Don’t wait til everything is perfect and you control every variable before trying something new. Just take action and the learning and growth will follow!
- 3 Education podcasts you should subscribe to:
Links to Connect With Tim
- Website: TeachersOnFire.net
- Twitter: @TeachersOnFire
- Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/TeachersOnFire
- YouTube Channel: Teachers on Fire
- Instagram: @TeachersOnFire
- Teachers On Fire Magazine on Medium: Teachers on Fire Magazine on Medium
69: Building Heroes- Bruce and Erin Umpstead chat with us about helping students see that . they’re on a hero’s journey, and working together to find The Great American Epic.Podcast, @_jeffgargas, @EUmpstead, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, @teachbetterteam, @Umpstead, Bruce Umpstead, Erin Umpstead, great American epic, jeff gargas, podcast, Podcasting with students, rae hughart, teach better team
68: Conductors of Our Classrooms – Jeff Bradbury chats about listening to our audience to understand their needs, and how you can teach like a WWE Superstar.Podcast, @JeffBradbury, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, #edupodcast, #podcasts, Jeff Bradbury, jeff gargas, Jeffrey Bradbury, podcast, podcasting, rae hughart, Teacher Cast, Teachercast
67: Physical Literacy – Michael Jennings chats with us about giving our students more movement tools in their movement toolbox.Podcast, @_jeffgargas, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, @THEschmike, Evans Junior High, Gym, jeff gargas, Michael Jennings, PE, Physical Education, Physical Literacy, podcast, podcasting, rae hughart, teach better talk, Unit 5
66: Culture and Creativity – Kelly Croy discusses why we need to focus on creation over consumption, and how good and bad days all come down to a cultural experience.Podcast, @jeffgargas, @kcroy, @kellycroy, @raehughart, @teachbetterteam, #Podcast, #teachbetter, #teachbettertalk, Along Came A Leader, author, Future Ready Podcast, jeff gargas, Kelly Croy, podcast, rae hughart, teach better talk, Unthink Before Bed, Wired Educator, Wired Educator Podcast
65: Relationships Over Content – Wilkie Law chats with us about his unique journey to becoming a teacher, and why we need to cherish the human side of people.Podcast, @aimsnetwork, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, #Podcast, #podcasts, #teachbettertalk, AIMS Network, jeff gargas, podcast, podcasting, rae hughart, Value Adds Value
64: We all have to shine. – Jeffrey Austin shares why he had to completely ditch everything he was doing, how powerful really meaningful, personalized, timely feedback can be to a student, and why we all need to shine.Podcast, @jeffgargas, @MrAustinA2, @raehughart, @Skyline_WC, #edupodcast, #Podcast, #teachbetter, #teachbettertalk, jeff gargas, Jeffrey Austin, podcast, rae hughart, Skyline Writing Center, teach better talk
62: Improvise, adapt, and overcome – Seamus O’Hara talks about never being satisfied, not being afraid to fail, and how we can be better.Podcast, @edpop, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, #Podcast, #podcasts, #teachbetter, #teachbettertalk, Ed Pop Podcast, jeff gargas, PD, podcast, podcasting, professional development, rae hughart, Seamus O'Hara, teach better, teach better talk
60: Go Change The World. – Tamara Letter shares how to create opportunities for students to become kindness cultivators in their communities.Podcast, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, @tamaraletter, #edupodcast, #Podcast, #teachbetter, #teachbettertalk, Edu Podcat, jeff gargas, podcast, rae hughart, Tamara Letter, teach better, teach better talk
58: Learning Opportunities – Chris Chappotin talks with us about growing as learners and servants so we can turn it toward our students.Podcast, @chris_chappotin, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, #edupodcast, #Podcast, #teachbetter, Chris Chappotin, jeff gargas, podcast, Principal, rae hughart, teach better, teach better talk
57: Ignite Your Fire – Annick Rauch answers the question, “How do you do it?” and shares how her passion drives her.Podcast, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, #edupodcast, #Podcast, #teachbetter, #teachbettertalk, jeff gargas, podcast, podcasting, rae hughart, teach better, teach better talk, teachers, teaching
56: Legit Leadership – Joe Sanfelippo shares the components of building an amazing school culture, how they have transformed their professional development, and the power of empowering your team to be better.Podcast, @jeffgargas, @Joe_Sanfelippo, @raehughart, #edupodcast, #teachbetter #podcast, jeff gargas, joe sanfelippo, podcast, podcasting, rae hughart, teach better, teach better talk
55: Take The L.E.A.P. – Elisabeth Bostwick chats about why we need to re-imagine learning, and how she learns something new every time she walks into another teacher’s classroom.Podcast, @elisabostwick, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, #edupodcast, #Podcast, #podcasts, #teachbetter, #teachbettertalk, Elisabeth Bostwick, Instructional Coach, jeff gargas, podcast, rae hughart, Take The L.E.A.P., teach better, teach better talk
54: Creative Voices. – High school students DJ and Noah share how creativity and freedom are helping to shape their future.Podcast, @cf_nowak, @DustyJohnson, @jeffgargas, @mrORIStech, @raehughart, @strider64832639, #Podcast, alex oris, broadcasting, high school students, jeff gargas, Joe Nowak, podcast, podcasting, rae hughart
53: Serve to lead. – Chris McGraw chats about having swagger while staying humble, making sure you’re filling yourself up in order to give to others, and all the bumps and bruises he’s learned from along the way.Podcast, @EvansJrHigh, @jeffgargas, @MisterMcGraw, @raehughart, #teachbetter, administration, Administrator, Chris McGraw, Evans Junior high School, jeff gargas, middle school, podcast, Principal, rae hughart, teach better, teach better talk
52: One Drop Of Kindness – Jeffrey Kubiak talks with us about adapting, crushing it, and how one drop of kindness can be a win for everyone.Podcast, @aquakube, @jeffgargas, @jeffreykubiak, @raehughart, #edupodcast, #flexibleseating, #Podcast, #podcasts, flexible seating, jeff gargas, Jeffrey Kubiak, podcast, rae hughart
51: Students First. – Lauren Salsinger chats with us about keeping students in the forefront of every decision we make, and the crucial promise she made to herself.Podcast, @diaryofa21stcenturyteacher, @jeffgargas, @MrsSalsinger, @raehughart, #Podcast, #podcasts #edupodcast, jeff gargas, Lauren Salsinger, podcast, rae hughart, teach better talk
49: Make Connections – Frank Bellomo chats with us about the power of relationships, and why you don’t need to be the smartest person in the room.Podcast, @FbellomB, @FoxElemCVS, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, #COLchat, Admin, administration, coach, Elementary, Elementary principal, Fox Elementary, Frank Bellomo, jeff gargas, Michigan, podcast, Principal, rae hughart
48: In AWE – Sarah Johnson shares her journey of creating In AWE, amplifying women, and the importance of taking care of yourself.Podcast, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, @sarahsajohnson, @teachbetterteam, #edupodcast, #Podcast, #podcasts, #teachbetter, #teachbetter talk, Balance Like A Pirate, dave burgess consulting, In AWE Podcast, jeff gargas, podcast, rae hughart, Sarah Johnson, teach better talk, teach better team
47: Being Coachable – Steve Diveley chats with us about his work with the AIMS Network, how we can question ourselves for the purpose of improvement, and the importance of being coachable.Podcast, @aimsnetwork, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, #Podcast, #teachbetter, #teachbettertalk, AIMS Network, jeff gargas, podcast, rae hughart, Steve Diveley, teach better talk