20 year veteran, Barb Baker, chats with us about giving ownership back to our students, why we must never stop learning, and why she feels truly blessed to do what she does every day.
Barb shares how she has built a culture in her class that embraces failure and encourages trying new things, and why we must invest in our students first.
- 1:51 – Barb introduces herself.
- 2:42 – Barb’s failure.
- 6:28 – Barb’s success.
- 9:17 – What’s got Barb excited about education right now.
- 15:49 – Ways to approach issues with student attendance.
- 18:18 – Barb’s advice for new teachers.
- 22:51 – 6 questions answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 27:40 – How to connect with Barb
- EdTech Tool: Flipgrid
- Book: “The Worst First Day: Bullied While Desegregating Central High” by Elizabeth A Eckford, Eurydice S Stanley, and Grace A Stanley
- Who to Follow: @MrDtimes3
- YouTube/Podcast/Website/Blog: TedEd
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Communicate constantly with parents, positively as often as you can.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received: Spend time building relationships with students upfront, so you can spend less time later on classroom management. Invest in them.
Links to Connect With Barb
- Website: bbaker7.weebly.com
- Twitter: @jawesomebaker
- Facebook Page: Barb Baker
- Instagram: @jawesomebaker
52: One Drop Of Kindness – Jeffrey Kubiak talks with us about adapting, crushing it, and how one drop of kindness can be a win for everyone.Podcast, @aquakube, @jeffgargas, @jeffreykubiak, @raehughart, #edupodcast, #flexibleseating, #Podcast, #podcasts, flexible seating, jeff gargas, Jeffrey Kubiak, podcast, rae hughart
51: Students First. – Lauren Salsinger chats with us about keeping students in the forefront of every decision we make, and the crucial promise she made to herself.Podcast, @diaryofa21stcenturyteacher, @jeffgargas, @MrsSalsinger, @raehughart, #Podcast, #podcasts #edupodcast, jeff gargas, Lauren Salsinger, podcast, rae hughart, teach better talk
49: Make Connections – Frank Bellomo chats with us about the power of relationships, and why you don’t need to be the smartest person in the room.Podcast, @FbellomB, @FoxElemCVS, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, #COLchat, Admin, administration, coach, Elementary, Elementary principal, Fox Elementary, Frank Bellomo, jeff gargas, Michigan, podcast, Principal, rae hughart
48: In AWE – Sarah Johnson shares her journey of creating In AWE, amplifying women, and the importance of taking care of yourself.Podcast, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, @sarahsajohnson, @teachbetterteam, #edupodcast, #Podcast, #podcasts, #teachbetter, #teachbetter talk, Balance Like A Pirate, dave burgess consulting, In AWE Podcast, jeff gargas, podcast, rae hughart, Sarah Johnson, teach better talk, teach better team
47: Being Coachable – Steve Diveley chats with us about his work with the AIMS Network, how we can question ourselves for the purpose of improvement, and the importance of being coachable.Podcast, @aimsnetwork, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, #Podcast, #teachbetter, #teachbettertalk, AIMS Network, jeff gargas, podcast, rae hughart, Steve Diveley, teach better talk