GotTechED the Podcast
Episode #110: 18 EdTech Tools to Support Student Writing
Welcome back to GotTechED the podcast this is Episode 110 called “18 EdTech Tools to Support Student Writing” In this episode, we’ll share a massive list of 18 edtech tools that can help students and teachers write. We’ve got websites, extensions, and podcasts featured in this episode, making it another one you don’t want to miss. Check it out.
Segment 1: Updates and Intro
What could be more important than writing? Emails, resumes, recommendation letters, college applications, blogging, social media posts, planning a podcast, making a speech at a friends wedding, writing a book,
Teacher Appreciation Week is Friday May 2nd to Friday May 6th. Give your teachers, colleagues, and friends the gift of free edtech mini subscriptions. Send teachers to myedtechbundle.com
Are you in search of #edtech tools and resources that will enhance your writing or the writing of your students?... Check out this episode that includes 18 edtech tools and resources and how they can be… Click To Tweet
Segment 2: Edtech
- Guise: Storybird – students create comics, short stories, chapter books, poems, quickly and easily. Storybird lets anyone make visual stories in seconds. We curate artwork from illustrators around the world and inspire writers of any age to turn those images into original stories. Ready to share your words with the world? Submit your stories to get expert feedback from teachers, professional editors, and authors.
- Nick: Boomwriter – Read, write, vote, repeat. Students read the first chapter of story, then write what they think should happen next. Then the student chapters are peer assessed and voted upon. A winner is chosen, which becomes the next official chapter of the story. The process starts again.
- Guise: Flocabulary
- An inspired student can reach their full potential
- Hip-hop videos and instructional activities that promote literacy and spark creativity.
- Nick: Vocabulary.com – A dictionary for learning, A scientific and fun way to improve vocabulary (Play games and compete in activities on your own or with participants from around the globe. With our advanced teaching algorithm and study tools, get ready for your vocabulary to expand!), and Engage your students with a fast-paced Vocab Jam, assign ready-made word lists for thousands of books and topics, and more!
- Guise: BookCreator
- Nick: Visuwords – NOT YOUR GRANDAD’S DICTIONARY. A modern dictionary for a modern world. Type in any word that is automatically put into an interactive map showing how it relates to other words as synonyms, antonyms and many other relationships
- Guise: EduBlogs – We are the oldest and most trusted web publishing platform for teachers and students.
- Nick: Phrasebank – a database of commonly used phrases. It aims to provide you with examples of some of the phraseological ‘nuts and bolts’ of writing organised according to the main sections of a research paper or dissertation (see the top menu )
- Guise: Xmind – better brainstorming
- Wordtune – Wordtune is an AI-powered writing companion that understands what you’re trying to say, and suggests ways to make your writing more clear, compelling and authentic
- Quillbot – highly rated Grammarly alternative. Write Better With QuillBot’s Grammar Checker, Paraphraser, & Summarizer
- Briskine Email Templates and shortcuts – Write emails faster! Increase your productivity with templates and keyboard shortcuts on Gmail, Outlook, or LinkedIn.
- Scholarcy – Summarizes research papers, creates interactive flashcards, highlights key points, links to open-access versions of each citation
- Citationsy – Cite websites, books, papers, articles, podcasts, songs, and much more using Citationsy. Perfect references and footnotes every time. Citationsy is perhaps the world’s best referencing tool. This Chrome extension will let you cite any website with a single click. We support citations in APA, Harvard, DIN, Chicago, MLA, and thousands of other referencing styles.
- Power Thesaurus – Use the power of synonyms by button in toolbar, right-click or by word selection on any page. Get the best synonyms, antonyms, definitions and other results for any word! Rephrase your texts on sites like Google Docs, Medium, Facebook, Twitter.
- Google Input Tools – type in almost 100 different languages anywhere online where text can be input. They have virtual keyboards and transliteration input tools.
- Grammar Girl Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing
- Writing Excuses
- The Writership Podcast Editing Tips For Fiction Authors
- The Creative Writer’s Toolbelt
Segment 3: Where to Find GotTechED
Do us 3 favors
- Subscribe to GotTechED the Podcast
- Write us an Apple Podcast Review!
- Tell your friends about www.gotteched.com
- Tell your friends about the Teach Better Podcast Network
Subscribe to our Podcast
Connect with us on Social Media
- Guise on Twitter @guisegotteched
- Nick on Twitter @nickgotteched
- GotTechED the Podcast on Twitter @wegotteched
Join the Conversation and our PLN
Our favorite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great conversations that happen on our Facebook Group Page.
Need a Presenter?
As experienced presenters and content creators, you can contact Nick and Guise to speak at your school, event, or conference. They can customize a workshop that meets your organization’s unique time and content needs. While no topic is out of bounds, GotTechED is best known for sessions on:
- 1:1 Chromebook Integration
- EdTech Throwdown
- TargetED Learning
- Gamification (Badge Systems)
- Game-Based Learning (Escape Rooms, Amazing Race, and more)
- Google apps and extensions
- Personalized learning and Choice Boards
- Teacher productivity (Lesson Planning, Online Grading. and Feedback)
- Digital content creation
- Student Podcasting
- Flipped Classroom
- Student-Centered Learning