Science teacher, writer, and owner of Spanish4Kiddos, Barbara Mascareno, chats with us about teaching content in a context that helps students retain it better, the power of flexibility, and how we can work to incorporate language in all content areas.'You might think you have the perfect lesson, but unfortunately, things happen.' - @Spanish4Kiddos from episode 105 of #TeachBetterTalk #Podcast #TeachBetter Click To Tweet
- 1:11 – Jeff and Rae commit to learning how to speak Spanish.
- 4:03 – Next steps if you want to expanding your knowledge.
- Attend Conferences
- Attend Workshops
- Find Classes at Local Community Colleges
- 8:29 – Previewing the episode with Barbara Mascareno.
- 11:35 – Barbara introduces herself.
- 12:32 – Barbara’s failure: Working with a very withdrawn student and working to get him to just try.
- 15:09 – Barbara’s success: Seeing students succeed in the classroom.
- 16:36 – Working with a resistant student.
- 20:50 – What’s got Barbara excited about education right now: Hands on experiences in classrooms.
- 23:17 – Barbara’s suggestion for teachers looking to get started with bilingual teaching.
- 24:38 – How we can better incorporate language into other content areas.
- 26:17 – Barbara’s advice for new teachers: Be consistent and flexible.
- 27:52 – Barabara shares a little about Spanish4Kiddos.com.
- 29:37 – 6 questions answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 32:46 – How to connect with Barbara.
- EdTech Tool: Google Classroom
- Book: “Eva Luna” by Isabel Allende (Spanish version)
- Who to Follow on Instagram: Besides you guys, this is a tough one – Twitter @WIDAConsortium, @judiehaynes @ESLlibrary
- YouTube/Podcast/Website/Blog: The Education Podcast Network (http://www.edupodcastnetwork.com/)
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Get your desk cleared every day before leaving school.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received: Write a sub lesson plan and get a sub binder the first week of school (you never know when emergencies happen)
Links to Connect With Barbara
- Website: www.spanish4kiddos.com
- Twitter: @spanish4kiddos
- Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/spanish4kiddos2
- Instagram: @spanish4kiddos
- YouTube: Spanish4Kiddos