In this episode:
After listening to this episode you will leave with the what, the why and the how of teaching students how to determine the main idea. I even include a couple of bonus tips, that includes how to put it all together with identifying key details and turning all of this into a summary.
I talk about:
- What Main Idea is.
- Why teaching students how to identify the main idea is an important skill.
- How to teach students how to identify the main idea and use that information along with key details to craft a summary of the text.
– Determining the main idea means that you are able to get to the gist of what the author is trying to communicate.
– Teaching students how to determine the main idea helps them to synthesize information and keep what is most important about what they are reading top of mind.
-When teaching students how to determine the main idea it’s important to try out the strategy that you want to teach students on for yourself first.
Links to resources mentioned in the podcast:
Grab my free guide for keeping your mini lesson mini
Get on the mini lesson revamp bootcamp waitlist
Main Idea and Summarizing Resource
Book a discovery call for one on one coaching or school professional development
Next Steps: If this episode resonated with you, take a screenshot of the episode and tag me on instagram @msevamireles.
Leave a Rating and Review:
This helps my show remain active in order to continue to help other upper elementary teachers get ideas they can use in their class today.
The Reading Teacher’s Playbook
- Search for my show on iTunes or Stitcher.
- Click on ‘Ratings and Reviews.’
- Under ‘Customer Reviews,’ click on “Write a Review.”
- Sign in with your iTunes or Stitcher log-in info
- Leave a Rating: Tap the greyed out stars (5 being the best)
- Leave a Review: Type in a Title and Description of your thoughts on my podcast
- Click ‘Send’