Music therapist and owner of Developing Melodies, Meryl Brown, gives us a lesson on how music can truly change lives, helping us learn how to speak, how to walk, and maintain emotional function.
Meryl educates us on an incredible tool that is underused in schools, with the hope that more educators will see its power and utilize music therapy when it fits into a child’s learning journey.
- 2:32 – Meryl tells us what she does.
- 3:52 – Meryl defines “Music Therapy” for us.
- 5:54 – A story of using music therapy to help a student.
- 9:29 – Rae’s experience with using music in her classroom, and how you can start with using music therapy in yours.
- 12:34 – When you might want to start considering music therapy.
- 18:38 – What are the age groups does Meryl typically work with?
- 20:53 – How music therapy is implemented differently with different age groups.
- 23:46 – Six questions answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 26:48 – How to connect with Meryl.
- Tech Tool: My computer.
- Book: “You Are A Badass” by Jen Sincero
- Who to Follow on Instagram: @musictherapyed
- YouTube/Podcast/Website/Blog: www.musictherapyed.com
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Consistency is key. If you’re going to use music in your classroom, be consistent.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received: You can’t help everybody with music therapy.
Links to Connect With Meryl
- Website: www.developingmelodies.com
- Twitter: @delevopmelodies
- Facebook Page: Developing Melodies
- Instagram: @developingmelodies
53: Serve to lead. – Chris McGraw chats about having swagger while staying humble, making sure you’re filling yourself up in order to give to others, and all the bumps and bruises he’s learned from along the way.Podcast, @EvansJrHigh, @jeffgargas, @MisterMcGraw, @raehughart, #teachbetter, administration, Administrator, Chris McGraw, Evans Junior high School, jeff gargas, middle school, podcast, Principal, rae hughart, teach better, teach better talk
52: One Drop Of Kindness – Jeffrey Kubiak talks with us about adapting, crushing it, and how one drop of kindness can be a win for everyone.Podcast, @aquakube, @jeffgargas, @jeffreykubiak, @raehughart, #edupodcast, #flexibleseating, #Podcast, #podcasts, flexible seating, jeff gargas, Jeffrey Kubiak, podcast, rae hughart
51: Students First. – Lauren Salsinger chats with us about keeping students in the forefront of every decision we make, and the crucial promise she made to herself.Podcast, @diaryofa21stcenturyteacher, @jeffgargas, @MrsSalsinger, @raehughart, #Podcast, #podcasts #edupodcast, jeff gargas, Lauren Salsinger, podcast, rae hughart, teach better talk
49: Make Connections – Frank Bellomo chats with us about the power of relationships, and why you don’t need to be the smartest person in the room.Podcast, @FbellomB, @FoxElemCVS, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, #COLchat, Admin, administration, coach, Elementary, Elementary principal, Fox Elementary, Frank Bellomo, jeff gargas, Michigan, podcast, Principal, rae hughart
48: In AWE – Sarah Johnson shares her journey of creating In AWE, amplifying women, and the importance of taking care of yourself.Podcast, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, @sarahsajohnson, @teachbetterteam, #edupodcast, #Podcast, #podcasts, #teachbetter, #teachbetter talk, Balance Like A Pirate, dave burgess consulting, In AWE Podcast, jeff gargas, podcast, rae hughart, Sarah Johnson, teach better talk, teach better team
47: Being Coachable – Steve Diveley chats with us about his work with the AIMS Network, how we can question ourselves for the purpose of improvement, and the importance of being coachable.Podcast, @aimsnetwork, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, #Podcast, #teachbetter, #teachbettertalk, AIMS Network, jeff gargas, podcast, rae hughart, Steve Diveley, teach better talk