24 year veteran teacher, speaker, and author of “Shift This,” Joy Kirr, chats with us about why she loves her job. Joy digs into what Genius Hour has done for her students, the importance of involving parents in your classroom, and why you need to first find out who you’re speaking to.
Joy discusses the power of making connections with students and tying them into your curriculum, and shares why you shouldn’t grade everything.
- 2:24 – Joy introduces herself.
- 3:00 – Joy’s failure.
- 5:55 – Joy’s success.
- 8:08 – Joy describes “Genius Hour.”
- 12:05 – Joy’s tips on effective parent communication.
- 17:45 – What’s got Joy excited about education.
- 19:07 – Joy’s advice for new teachers.
- 20:56 – Joy talks about her book, “Shift This.”
- 22:32 – 6 questions answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 25:38 – How to connect with Joy
- EdTech Tool: Google Docs
- Who to Follow: Rick Wormeli
- YouTube/Podcast/Website/Blog: www.teachersgoinggradeless.com
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Don’t check work email after 4. Don’t do any work on Friday nights.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received: “Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.” – Charles Swindoll
Links to Connect With Joy
- Website: geniushour.blogspot.com and shiftthis.weebly.com
- Twitter: @JoyKirr
- Instagram: @JoyKirr1
- Book: “Shift This”
- Classroom Website: scholarsrm239.weebly.com