24 year veteran teacher, speaker, and author of “Shift This,” Joy Kirr, chats with us about why she loves her job. Joy digs into what Genius Hour has done for her students, the importance of involving parents in your classroom, and why you need to first find out who you’re speaking to.
Joy discusses the power of making connections with students and tying them into your curriculum, and shares why you shouldn’t grade everything.
- 2:24 – Joy introduces herself.
- 3:00 – Joy’s failure.
- 5:55 – Joy’s success.
- 8:08 – Joy describes “Genius Hour.”
- 12:05 – Joy’s tips on effective parent communication.
- 17:45 – What’s got Joy excited about education.
- 19:07 – Joy’s advice for new teachers.
- 20:56 – Joy talks about her book, “Shift This.”
- 22:32 – 6 questions answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 25:38 – How to connect with Joy
- EdTech Tool: Google Docs
- Who to Follow: Rick Wormeli
- YouTube/Podcast/Website/Blog: www.teachersgoinggradeless.com
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Don’t check work email after 4. Don’t do any work on Friday nights.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received: “Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.” – Charles Swindoll
Links to Connect With Joy
- Website: geniushour.blogspot.com and shiftthis.weebly.com
- Twitter: @JoyKirr
- Instagram: @JoyKirr1
- Book: “Shift This”
- Classroom Website: scholarsrm239.weebly.com
53: Serve to lead. – Chris McGraw chats about having swagger while staying humble, making sure you’re filling yourself up in order to give to others, and all the bumps and bruises he’s learned from along the way.Podcast, @EvansJrHigh, @jeffgargas, @MisterMcGraw, @raehughart, #teachbetter, administration, Administrator, Chris McGraw, Evans Junior high School, jeff gargas, middle school, podcast, Principal, rae hughart, teach better, teach better talk
52: One Drop Of Kindness – Jeffrey Kubiak talks with us about adapting, crushing it, and how one drop of kindness can be a win for everyone.Podcast, @aquakube, @jeffgargas, @jeffreykubiak, @raehughart, #edupodcast, #flexibleseating, #Podcast, #podcasts, flexible seating, jeff gargas, Jeffrey Kubiak, podcast, rae hughart
51: Students First. – Lauren Salsinger chats with us about keeping students in the forefront of every decision we make, and the crucial promise she made to herself.Podcast, @diaryofa21stcenturyteacher, @jeffgargas, @MrsSalsinger, @raehughart, #Podcast, #podcasts #edupodcast, jeff gargas, Lauren Salsinger, podcast, rae hughart, teach better talk
49: Make Connections – Frank Bellomo chats with us about the power of relationships, and why you don’t need to be the smartest person in the room.Podcast, @FbellomB, @FoxElemCVS, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, #COLchat, Admin, administration, coach, Elementary, Elementary principal, Fox Elementary, Frank Bellomo, jeff gargas, Michigan, podcast, Principal, rae hughart
48: In AWE – Sarah Johnson shares her journey of creating In AWE, amplifying women, and the importance of taking care of yourself.Podcast, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, @sarahsajohnson, @teachbetterteam, #edupodcast, #Podcast, #podcasts, #teachbetter, #teachbetter talk, Balance Like A Pirate, dave burgess consulting, In AWE Podcast, jeff gargas, podcast, rae hughart, Sarah Johnson, teach better talk, teach better team
47: Being Coachable – Steve Diveley chats with us about his work with the AIMS Network, how we can question ourselves for the purpose of improvement, and the importance of being coachable.Podcast, @aimsnetwork, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, #Podcast, #teachbetter, #teachbettertalk, AIMS Network, jeff gargas, podcast, rae hughart, Steve Diveley, teach better talk