In this episode, we have a blast with middle school science teacher, Josie Bensko, who describes herself as a “grown-up middle schooler.”
Josie shares a big failure from her first year of teaching, what she considers a “success,” and some really awesome advice.
- 1:44 – Josie discussed the reactions she gets when she says what she does – And we embarrass here!
- 3:14 – Josie’s big failure in her first year of teaching.
- 5:46 – Rae and Josie’s mentor’s awesome quote.
- 6:44 – When Josie feels the most successful.
- 8:08 – What’s keeping Josie energized about education: Social media.
- 12:12 – One of Josie’s goals for this year.
- 13:51 – Josie’s advice for what teachers should be doing early in their career to really be effective.
- 16:15 – 6 questions in 15 seconds or less….and go!
- 18:08 – Rae’s requested drumroll…
- EdTech Tool: Google Classroom
- Book: “The Limitless School” by Adam Dovico and Abe Hege
- Who to Follow: Elementary Shenanigans (@elementaryshenanigans) and Wade King (@_wadeking)
- YouTube/Instagram/Website/Blog: ASAP Science Videos
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Find something that relieves stress for you outside of school! FOr me it is working out
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received: “Students will not learn from someone they don’t like”
Links to Connect With Josie
- Twitter: @maniacsinthemid
- Instagram: @maniacsinthemiddle
- Website or Blog: www.maniacsinthemiddle.com
- Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/maniacsinthemiddle
- Pinterest: Maniacs In The Middle
- Spotify Playlists: Miss Bensko
60: Go Change The World. – Tamara Letter shares how to create opportunities for students to become kindness cultivators in their communities.Podcast, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, @tamaraletter, #edupodcast, #Podcast, #teachbetter, #teachbettertalk, Edu Podcat, jeff gargas, podcast, rae hughart, Tamara Letter, teach better, teach better talk
58: Learning Opportunities – Chris Chappotin talks with us about growing as learners and servants so we can turn it toward our students.Podcast, @chris_chappotin, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, #edupodcast, #Podcast, #teachbetter, Chris Chappotin, jeff gargas, podcast, Principal, rae hughart, teach better, teach better talk
57: Ignite Your Fire – Annick Rauch answers the question, “How do you do it?” and shares how her passion drives her.Podcast, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, #edupodcast, #Podcast, #teachbetter, #teachbettertalk, jeff gargas, podcast, podcasting, rae hughart, teach better, teach better talk, teachers, teaching
56: Legit Leadership – Joe Sanfelippo shares the components of building an amazing school culture, how they have transformed their professional development, and the power of empowering your team to be better.Podcast, @jeffgargas, @Joe_Sanfelippo, @raehughart, #edupodcast, #teachbetter #podcast, jeff gargas, joe sanfelippo, podcast, podcasting, rae hughart, teach better, teach better talk
55: Take The L.E.A.P. – Elisabeth Bostwick chats about why we need to re-imagine learning, and how she learns something new every time she walks into another teacher’s classroom.Podcast, @elisabostwick, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, #edupodcast, #Podcast, #podcasts, #teachbetter, #teachbettertalk, Elisabeth Bostwick, Instructional Coach, jeff gargas, podcast, rae hughart, Take The L.E.A.P., teach better, teach better talk
54: Creative Voices. – High school students DJ and Noah share how creativity and freedom are helping to shape their future.Podcast, @cf_nowak, @DustyJohnson, @jeffgargas, @mrORIStech, @raehughart, @strider64832639, #Podcast, alex oris, broadcasting, high school students, jeff gargas, Joe Nowak, podcast, podcasting, rae hughart
53: Serve to lead. – Chris McGraw chats about having swagger while staying humble, making sure you’re filling yourself up in order to give to others, and all the bumps and bruises he’s learned from along the way.Podcast, @EvansJrHigh, @jeffgargas, @MisterMcGraw, @raehughart, #teachbetter, administration, Administrator, Chris McGraw, Evans Junior high School, jeff gargas, middle school, podcast, Principal, rae hughart, teach better, teach better talk
52: One Drop Of Kindness – Jeffrey Kubiak talks with us about adapting, crushing it, and how one drop of kindness can be a win for everyone.Podcast, @aquakube, @jeffgargas, @jeffreykubiak, @raehughart, #edupodcast, #flexibleseating, #Podcast, #podcasts, flexible seating, jeff gargas, Jeffrey Kubiak, podcast, rae hughart
51: Students First. – Lauren Salsinger chats with us about keeping students in the forefront of every decision we make, and the crucial promise she made to herself.Podcast, @diaryofa21stcenturyteacher, @jeffgargas, @MrsSalsinger, @raehughart, #Podcast, #podcasts #edupodcast, jeff gargas, Lauren Salsinger, podcast, rae hughart, teach better talk
49: Make Connections – Frank Bellomo chats with us about the power of relationships, and why you don’t need to be the smartest person in the room.Podcast, @FbellomB, @FoxElemCVS, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, #COLchat, Admin, administration, coach, Elementary, Elementary principal, Fox Elementary, Frank Bellomo, jeff gargas, Michigan, podcast, Principal, rae hughart
48: In AWE – Sarah Johnson shares her journey of creating In AWE, amplifying women, and the importance of taking care of yourself.Podcast, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, @sarahsajohnson, @teachbetterteam, #edupodcast, #Podcast, #podcasts, #teachbetter, #teachbetter talk, Balance Like A Pirate, dave burgess consulting, In AWE Podcast, jeff gargas, podcast, rae hughart, Sarah Johnson, teach better talk, teach better team
47: Being Coachable – Steve Diveley chats with us about his work with the AIMS Network, how we can question ourselves for the purpose of improvement, and the importance of being coachable.Podcast, @aimsnetwork, @jeffgargas, @raehughart, #Podcast, #teachbetter, #teachbettertalk, AIMS Network, jeff gargas, podcast, rae hughart, Steve Diveley, teach better talk