Best-selling author, high school history teacher, and soccer coach, Joel Hawbaker, talks about being deliberate about how we spend our time, why he’s excited about teaching this generation of kids, and what good leadership really is.
Joel shares the ways he pulls from his past experiences to bring new ideas into his classroom, how to relate what students are learning to what they’re living, and why what we’re doing matters.
- 2:11 – Joel introduces himself.
- 4:15 – Joel’s failure.
- 9:30 – Joel’s success.
- 12:25 – What’s got Joel excited about education right now.
- 16:50 – Joe’s advice to new teachers.
- 20:03 – Joel talks about his book, “Inverted Leadership”
- 24:06 – 6 questions answered in 15 seconds or less.
- 26:09 – How to connect with Joel.
- EdTech Tool: Projector and computer.
- Book: “The Meaning of Marriage” by Tim Keller, “Soccer Field. Mission Field” by Michael Zigarelli, and “The Fall of Berlin” by Antony Beevor
- Who to Follow: @philrtaylor, @teachergoals, and @mrpstrunk
- YouTube/Podcast/Website/Blog: Crash Course
- Daily/Weekly/Monthly Routine: Continuing to read outside source material and bring information in.
- Best piece of advice you’ve ever received: Do the right thing, even when no one’s looking.
Links to Connect With Joel
- Website: www.reallifeleading.com
- Twitter: @RealLifeLeading
- Facebook Page: Joel Hawbaker
- LinkedIn: Joel Hawbaker